Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Impossible - Things Are Happening Every Day


Nothing too groundbreaking here, if you keep up with obscure trend news (I dont, but I do spend a lot of time dicking around on the internet, and the happened to fall into my Venn Diagram of various interests): but, good news!


Apparently a group of workers at the Polaroid manufacturing center somewhere in a Netherland got together and decided to resucitate the dead/dying instant film market. Since the plant stopped production in June of last year, they have struck a deal with Polaroid to lease the plant and equipment and hash pipes and whatnot. They call it project Impossible (the Dutch version of the show 'Mission Impossible' must have had a really wild Dutch title; or these people are completely clueless about clever branding; or, they are smarter than branding dickheads and didnt want to be obvious; anyway, they decided not to call it ''Mission'' Impossible for some inscrutible reason), and its great that they are doing it.


What I love best about this story is that I know a number of photo people who ran out and bought up all the Polaroid instant film in their neighborhood/city/country/whatever, spending god knows how much on film. I never checked, but I am sure that ebay and other auction sites must have had a thriving gouge-market for Polaroid film, and now all these guys are broke but have tons of Polaroid film and they are real smug about it. Maybe - just maybe - the joke is on them. Or on me. Or POLAROIIIIIIIIIID!!!

No comments: